Romania, Fighting the E.U., Prepares to Lead It at ‘Crucial Moment’
The government has turned to Euroskeptic rhetoric to defend its stance on anticorruption legislation, even as it is scheduled to take its turn in the presidency of the bloc as Brexit looms.
More from my site
- We migrants left for a better life: now we are fighting for a better Romania | Claudia Ciobanu | Opinion
Tens of thousands of Romanians who live and work across Europe gathered in the centre of Bucharest earlier this month to protest against the government and its plans to curtail […]
- Romania Conservatives Wanted Voters to Limit Definition of ‘Family.’ They Failed.
BUCHAREST, Romania — A referendum in Romania on whether to narrow the constitutional definition of a family to a man and a woman failed spectacularly over the weekend, with just 20.4 […]
- Claiming ‘Parallel State’ Cabal, Romania’s Leaders Target Anti-Corruption Prosecutor
BUCHAREST, Romania — The powerful leader of Romania’s governing party — convicted of voter fraud, suspected of stealing millions of dollars of European Union funds, and soon to face a […]
- Giuliani Criticizes an Anticorruption Crackdown in Romania
BUCHAREST, Romania — Romania, long considered one of the most corrupt states in the European Union, has made energetic efforts to root out graft that has entangled prominent lawmakers. […]
- Violence Erupts as Tens of Thousands Protest Corruption in Romania
BUCHAREST, Romania — Antigovernment protests in the Romanian capital turned violent Friday night as the police clashed with protesters, using tear gas and water cannons to disperse the […]
- Anti-Semitic Graffiti Scrawled on Childhood Home of Elie Wiesel in Romania
BUCHAREST, Romania — The graffiti in a northwestern town in Romania — ugly, obscene and anti-Semitic — was clearly meant to shock.It was scrawled late Friday evening on the outside wall […]
- World Cup, Migrants, Romania: Your Monday Briefing
(Want to get this briefing by email? Here’s the sign-up.)Good morning. Trade retaliation, the fate of migrants and a World Cup earthquake. Here’s the latest:• The fear of a trade war is […]
- Pursuits: On the Rug Route in Romania, Kilims and an Enduring Culture
A road trip includes centuries-old churches, a welcoming winery and workshops and studios where weaving is an art.