November 15, 2018

facebook twitter linkedin tumblr google pinterest

Saudis Sent Experts to Remove Evidence of Khashoggi’s Killing, Turkey Says

Saudis Sent Experts to Remove Evidence of Khashoggi’s Killing, Turkey Says
Spread the love


In the wake of the killing, international companies have come under pressure to cut ties to Saudi Arabia, but on Monday, the chief executive of SoftBank of Japan said it would continue to do business with the kingdom.

Speaking on Monday in Geneva, the president of Saudi Arabia’s human rights commission, Bandar al-Aiban, vowed a full investigation and punishment of those responsible, but shed no new light on the case. His remarks, before the United Nations Human Rights Council, came in a review of the kingdom’s human rights record.

Turkey has demanded, to no avail, that Saudi Arabia disclose what became of Mr. Khashoggi’s body, that it name the “local collaborator” who a Saudi official has said helped dispose of the remains, and that it turn over the 18 suspects to face the Turkish justice system.

In an interview with CNN on Sunday, Mr. Khashoggi’s two sons, Salah and Abdullah, called for their father’s body to be returned for a burial in Saudi Arabia. Salah Khashoggi said that he had “faith” in the Saudi investigation of the killing and that “everybody involved will be brought to justice.”

The Saudi cleanup team arrived in Istanbul on Oct. 11, nine days after Mr. Khashoggi’s death, and visited the consulate every day from Oct. 12 to Oct. 17, according to Sabah. Turkish investigators were not allowed into the consulate, which is considered Saudi sovereign territory, until Oct. 15. Sabah published photographs of Mr. Junabi and Mr. Zahrani emerging from the entrance of the consulate and also published photographs that the newspaper’s investigative editor, Abdurrahman Simsek, said were head shots from cameras at airport passport control.

The men arrived on the same day as a Saudi delegation that met with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Oct. 11, as Turkish officials demanded to know what had happened to Mr. Khashoggi, a critic of the Saudi government who lived in the United States and wrote opinion articles for The Washington Post. He had entered the consulate on Oct. 2 for a prearranged meeting to collect papers that would allow him to marry his Turkish fiancée, and was never seen again.

When the group identified as a cleanup team was in Turkey, Saudi officials were still insisting that Mr. Khashoggi, 59, had left the consulate safely, and that they did not know where he was. They later acknowledged that he had been killed in the consulate, at first describing his death as the accidental result of a fight, and later calling it premeditated.



Source link

More from my site

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply