‘We’ll Dig Graves’: Brazil’s New Leaders Vow to Kill Criminals
A violence-weary electorate rewarded incoming President Jair Bolsonaro and other candidates who promised draconian measures to restore order in Brazil.
More from my site
- U.S. and Brazil Chose Similar Leaders. It May Lead to Smoother Relations.
RIO DE JANEIRO — The United States and Brazil have been uneasy allies during the best of times.But Brazilian voters may have put an end to that dynamic by electing as their next […]
- Michel Temer, Brazil’s Deeply Unpopular President, Signals Run for a New Term
President Michel Temer’s approval ratings have been in the single digits for months. But he says he has a legacy to defend. “It would be cowardly not to be a candidate,” he […]
- This Far-Right Politician Could Be Brazil’s Next President
Jair Bolsonaro has been in the fringe far right for most of his political career. Now, he is the front-runner in Brazil’s presidential race.
- A ‘Legacy of Terror’: ISIS Left More Than 200 Mass Graves in Iraq
BAGHDAD — Over 200 mass graves holding as many as 12,000 bodies have been found in areas of Iraq once controlled by the Islamic State, the United Nations said on Tuesday. The findings […]
- Trust Betrayed: Wives of White-Collar Criminals Tell Their Stories
“We went to church every Sunday,” said Ms. Franck. “He played the violin in the front row of the church while being a criminal all week long.”And that’s where Lisa Lawler comes […]
- With Brazil Ex-President’s Fate in Balance, Army Chief Weighs In
Former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva of Brazil during a campaign rally in in March. He has a significant lead in polls ahead of a […]
- Brazil’s Ex-President Lula Defies 5 p.m. Arrest Deadline
José Chrispiniano, a spokesman for Mr. da Silva, said he did not go to Curitiba partly because he could not afford to make the trip.“He has no money for that since his assets […]
- Why Did the Dam in Brazil Collapse? Here’s a Brief Look.
What happened?On Jan. 25, a mining dam that sat above Brumadinho, a large town in southeastern Brazil, collapsed and unleashed a tidal wave of waste and mud that engulfed homes, […]